i have a 1992mercury capri have many questions help please!!

10

Asked by Dec 13, 2013 at 01:36 AM about the 1992 Mercury Capri 2 Dr STD Convertible

okay i bought a 1992 mercury capri 4weeks ago. it has eaten 6 belts; im assuming the
alternator is out of alignment. the last time it broke it started smoking y did it do this &
how do i get it in alignment? also my heater only blows cold air could it be the air vent
door? & how would i fix it? & im leaking transmission fluid could it be bcuz of the hose is
disconnected in the trans? im also shooting oil out of my muffler after i had my oil
changed. i lm getting so fed up with this car; also my top wont go down; not tht i need it
down bcuz its cold as shit outside but how would i fix all these issues and what could b
wrong please helpppp!!!!!!!! thanks!!!!

scratch that...sell it for fifty dollars at pickNpull and put the money as a down payment on a TOYOTA...they won't break down and you can expect to get 300,000 miles out of them if treated properly.....DavidH25 and I both swear by their reputation standard for excellence...nothing like them....a mercedes or bmw will have pricey repairs....the Toyota wins the show....forget this abortion...final decision...judge

Best Answer

any model...seems like you could get a Camry for 2500...start lookin' in your part of town...some are really cool...the MR2...celica...tercel's are cheap now...they are ALL good, and have my endorsement even though have never seen the one that you want...they really are the best buggy out there~

Judge Roy is right. You start dumping money in to that POS it will never end, you will have an empty wallet and that car has too many problems. Okay, we all make mistakes, and you did on this car. Toyota Camry, Corolla, Celica is indeed what will take you to the moon and back and you can find a 2000 or so model year for under $4,000. Put $500 down and treat her right and you won't need another car 'till the cows come home. If that is out of your budget look for 90's models, they can be had for even less.

PS your alternator pulley is probably not out of alignment, more likely the bearing is shot and it wobbles and maybe even seized ....a belt every 4 1/2 days....and a transmission fluid leak could be lots of things...liquid motor oil coming out tailpipe....take what you can get for it and bitch slap whoever sold it to you

10

Thanks so much guys

You are wecome...my friggin' Toyota is a standard cab and uncomfortable for a six foot tall guy....been wanting to sell it, but it won't die....the wife has bought an automatic MINI for me to drive, but insists on keepin' the Toyota for dump runs (oooo that sounds ugly 'dump runs') whoooof~ still DavidH25 (our number one GURU) who I've never met personally is a Texan (surprisingly) and my former Milwaukee self have only the cars in common...the TOYOTA is one we both DO agree has superior build quality and reliability...my Wife's father worked for an inspection company and he said all the TOYOTA parts were SPOT ON....no one can argue with that testament~

Wife's Prius still gets 47 MPG after 160,000 miles~ and CAN go 99mph (the top gear guys are WRONG)~

1,335

Ill buy the capri, where do i pick it up?

FYI, I have same belt issue and found out that the capri came from factory with wrong pulley on the alternator. I bought new alternator and problem still there because they never recalled the pulley and they put bad pulley on replacement parts too! so only way to fix this is to take your alternator to a shop and have them put on a new pulley or match up a pulley yourself if you have an impact to take off the old one.

45

Roo-Sport.com (503-919-4227) has a belt that fixes this problem for good! They call it the "Squeal Stopper". It has worked on 3 of my Capris, first time they've been installed!

I also have a 92 capri and had the exact same problem with the alternator belt. I finally traced it to a somewhat little known fact that they put the wrong pully on the car from the factory, so everytime you get a new one, you stil get the wrong one because there was no recall! Two possible solutions, 1) Just over tighten the belt. I tighten mine as tight as two people can get it with a pry bar and I only have to change it about once a year. 2) Find a mechanic or machine shop that really knows what they are doing and have them replace the pulley on the alternator, but be sure to tell them to not do it according to specs for the car, but with some common sense instead! Good luck. I hope this helps someone.