Villager Won't start

Asked by Dec 17, 2011 at 05:52 PM about the 1993 Mercury Villager 3 Dr GS Passenger Van

No clicking, all lights come on, trying to jump start.

2,515

Make sure the connections are good and the terminals are not loose or corroded. Check any related fuses and check the starter relay in the box in the engine compartment. According to what I've read here, it may be labeled "Inhibit" or "Inhibitor" for some reason. Relays are cheap so it wouldn't be a bad idea to just replace that first after you check everything else if it still won't crank even with a jump...but if you can find an identical relay in there with the same spade layout and matching part numbers, swap it out for the relay in question and see if it will crank.. Don't start it (it may throw a code for whatever system was disabled), just see if it will turn over and if it does, swap it back and buy a relay. From there, check the connections at the starter and then tap its body with a small hammer. You don't have to beat the piss out of it but give it some good firm taps...about 50% of the time this will loosen up the motor and gear and get it to start, but this is not a fix, merely a way to get it running and confirm that the starter is bad.