Passive Seatbelt on 1993 Mercury Topaz stuck on track

Asked by Jun 05, 2013 at 11:39 AM about the 1993 Mercury Topaz 4 Dr GS Sedan

The passive seat belt shoulder strap (one of the worst things ever installed in a car) cannot automatically move on the track.  I am OK with that as it is stuck in the position I need to actually wear it.  I can slip under it after getting in the car seat and the lap belt fastens manually and separately.  However, every time a car door is opened, or the car is started, it does try to move and is "running" in a stuck position.  Can I disconnect something that stops the shoulder strap from trying to move automatically?

does it "try" to move---electricity is getting to the motor but chewing gum or debris is preventing it?...or doesn't power at all...if you put a test light on the power to the motor would not have any power there? look at the fuse box to find a fuse that is blown responsible for this function...replace it (the fuse) and probably will work again...if it is stalled because of mechanical interference would see about moving it manually (think these are the "turnin' worm") which should out-power any obstruction (like your jugular)~

pull the fuse when it gets to the position that you want.~

they stopped making them this way...I wonder why....NOT~

that is a "active seatbelt" want a passive seatbelt~

Erik McWilliams

get in the back of the car, take the plastic side piece off (leftside of car) and reach from the front and turn the key forward so that the seatbelt will move, then unplug the motor to stop it. You may have to do this fast if you want it in a certain position. i have the 93 topaz and my motor for my seatbelt works but the seatbelt won't move so i just unplugged it.