it don't shif gear sometimes

Asked by Mar 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM about the 1993 Mercury Topaz 4 Dr GS Sedan

I have to stop the car turn it off wait for two minutes turn on and then it work right most of the time some times don't

95

Problem with the Ford ATX after many years of reliable service ( I assume its an automatic) is a that the Throttle valve sleeve/linkage starts to stick... You can get it re-lubricated (sort of), to see if its just sticking..., (but about 90% of the time, re-lubing does absolutely NOTHING due to the main problem). The main problem being that a bushing inside the sleeve that guides the cable is actually MISSING, due to being worn out and eventually breaking... There was a TSB (technical service bulletin) from Ford with a new Throttle Sleeve design that fixed this issue many years ago...assuming whoever owned it then, took it in... (not many people knew though)...and it wasn't a recall that I'm aware of, so you'd be out of luck today with the manufacturer...(perks of driving an 18 year old car, I know, I have a Topaz too, but I run only Amsoil in it, so I hope she'll live a lot longer than most, going for 300K+ miles!!!)... :( If you really want to, just tell wherever you take it to check the tranny linkage/sleeve for binding... but its NOT cheap to get fixed at a regular shop... be prepared to fork out anywhere from $300-600+... It would be a job only for the most VERY ADVANCED DIY-ER, I did it myself, but with the help of a mechanic...If you can source the part yourself and have a mechanic to help you for a case of beer or something... then try that... in which case you could probably get it done for around $100-200ish...(including parts and beer). :) Happy motoring! ~Matt

yes thank you