High Idle

15

Asked by Oct 13, 2009 at 04:37 AM about the 1993 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr XR7 Coupe

i have a 93 5.0 thats idleing at 1800-2000 rpm have changed mass air,speed sencor,ia sencor, no vacume leaks and its throwing no codes anyone got any ideas???? thank you

55

have you looked at the fuel pressure reglator or the timing when you changed the idel air control did you unhook battery for 10 min. so computer can relearn idel hope this helps

15

i'll ask and the battry keeps going dead from sitting so i would think that would of reset it

25

It might be you intake gaskets take WD-40 and spray it around the intake and if the engine slows down you have a leak.

25

theres also an idel screw on the throttle body make sure thats not set to high other wise you rpms will be to high

i have the same problem in my 91 cougar 5.0 it also makes a howling noise when i shut engine off what is the deal with this it runs ok

15

replace your IAC valve

its the throttle position sensor cuz that's what was with my cougar it was idling like that as well.

15

Ok thanks everyone I changed maf, throttle sencor,idle control, no vacuum leaks,changed all temperature sencors ,rebuilt the computer and took it to every Garage in town one said it was a intake leak wanted 400.00. To fix few wouldn't touch it others told me to junk it after 2 years I found a Garage that really looked at it and throwing no codes they really went over the parts and found out that the throttle position sensor was stuck open so after over two years she is running fine now thanks for everyone's help!!!