1994 Mercury Topaz Grinding Noise (not at the wheels)

20

Asked by Nov 19, 2015 at 10:50 PM about the 1994 Mercury Topaz 2 Dr GS Coupe

I have a 1994 2 Door Mercury Topaz, that is making quite a grinding noise
(mostly when driving it) from the passenger side front, (where the front of
the transverse engine is) and it's quite noticeable, I did take it to a good
Mechanic and he said it was not the CV Joints, and I recently changed the
Trasmission fluid, the old fluid came out completely clear and clean. And
it's not coming from the transmission area, what could be making this
grinding noise? Thank you kindly.

143,395

If it 'grinds' at idle it could me the starter Bendix not disengaging from the flywheel, the starter gear extends out to catch the gears on flywheel then is supposed to retract back in. But if it gets stuck the gear cogs on the flywheel will get chewed up, along with starter Bendix. It needs attention asap because this could get expensive

20

The Bendix spring in the starter, even though those shouldn't make noise when the car is in first gear, and then 2nd gear, then it isn't as much in 3 through 5 gears and on highway's in 5th gear, don't hear it much at all. I'm assuming a brand new starter will fix this, or do I need anything else?

143,395

Hmmmm... that's curious, But it still could be. As you go faster, the Bendix gear may be 'keeping up' with the speed of flywheel. I really do think that's what it is. If I were in your position that is what I would do -- new starter

20

Yeah, I was wondering that too, so yes I'll get a starter tomorrow and see if that fixes the grinding sound, other wise, if it doesn't we'll start again. Thank you.

143,395

Good luck. I really do think that is it.

20

No, sad to say, that wasn't it at all, did replace the starter with a Bosch one, and the grinding noise was still there, so in addition, I checked both front wheel bearings, they were fine, no play in either wheel, re-greased them, went for a test drive and the "grinding noise is still there."

6,135

Have you ruled out any of the pulleys driven by the serpentine belt? Try taking it off and spinning them all by hand. That model a/c compressor is bad about a growling belt pulley.

20

Yes, brand new serpentine belt, and made sure that all pulley's have no bad bearings in them, and also the noise is not coming from that area as far as I can tell, but it's hard to find where it's coming from since it's happening only when I'm driving this Mercury Topaz car.

20

I forgot to say, the new Serpentine belt was installed this last August and I did check it thoroughly to make sure it and the pulley's are all okay.