car won't start

70

Asked by Jan 31, 2014 at 11:03 PM about the 1994 Mercury Capri 2 Dr STD Convertible

I have a 1994 Capri. A week ago I drove it to work no problems. Got in it that afternoon,
it started and died. Hasn't started since. Has new distributor call and rotor button, and
new ignition coil. Will crank, just won't fire. When I quit cranking it, there will be I single
spark. Nothing from the coiI while cranking, but will spark when I let off it. ANY IDEAS??

20,475

Ignition module or pick up in the distributor.

did you check the battery to see if it's newer than five years old? and a solid connection to ground yet?

114,985

Oh shit!!!!!!!, Look who stopped in!!!!! Glad to see you Operator_13. You have been greatly missed.

a bad ignition switch might do sometin like this~ https://www.google.com/#q=1994+Capri+ignition+switch&tbm=shop

yeah, that's a stupid conclusion...he already said his battery was healthy...spark is dodgy....ignition switchs will do this....and an ignition relay will drop out if there isn't sufficient chassis ground....also if it's burnt~ lets try to find one~

ok no igntion relay...no starter relay (yes solenoid)...but because this switch is a big hunkin' bugger and the car is almost twenty years old would change out this bugger....nine bucks or so, as I recall~

20,475

It is more than likely the pick up /stator in the distributor. What gives it away to me is the spark when you let off the key. I have replaced several for this condition.

70

Where is the ignition switch located at on this car?

70

Tuff4x4 there is no fire leaving to ignition coil and going to the distributor. So it couldn't be the pick up could it?

20,475

You have it backwards It has to see signal from the pick up in the distributor before the coil will fire.

70

Well, when I unhooked the wire leaving the coil any going to the distributor, powering the distributor, it wouldn't spark until I let off it.

20,475

Exactly. This is what a bad stator/pick up does.

70

When I uncooked it the way u are talking about, there was nothing.

20,475

The pick up is down inside the distributor. I am not talking about the coil wire. The stator sends the signal through the electrical wiring for the coil from the distributor to fire. It is probably cheaper and faster just to buy a new distributor than replace the stator because you have to completely disassemble the distributor to change it.

70

I hate auto text. There is no fire coming from distributor at all. But when I uncool the wire coming from coil to the distributor, I will get a spark from the coil before it gets to distributor. Trying to fully explain, not trying to be hateful. I am thankful for the help.

70

Can't buy distributor. Can't find for under 300. Will scrap car before I pay that!

20,475

Yes I understand but what I am saying is the signal comes from the stator in the distributor to the coil, it fires and goes to the distributor cap then out to each plug wire.

70

Could I get one from junk yard?

70

Well get one and it work?

20,475

Yes and you are right they are HIGH. - eBay item number:- 181296881274 - $135.00 USED

20,475

it should fire right up.

20,475

See if you can find one used local.

70

I know of a junk yard that should have one. Thank you!

okay some 94 models have an ignition diode pack~

70

How do I change the pickup? Can't get rotor off

20,475

Pull distributor, drive roll pin out of gear, remove gear, drive shaft up out of distributor. Replace pick up.

70

Any advice on best way to do this?

70

Never done this, can't seem to get pin to move

20,475

Put the shaft in a vice and spray the pin with penetrating oil. Then use a hammer and punch to drive it out.

70

Shaft will easily be driven about 1/2 inch, then refuses to go further. Sprayed with penetrating oil, still stuck

20,475

With the 1/2" movement can you get to the bolts to take out the pick up?

70

Has new distributor, new ignition coil, new ignition. No fire.

20,475

Check the small ground wire at the battery for corrosion or broken. Check the connector in it too.

70

Will a computer off a mazda 323 work on a Capri?