94 Capri will idle fine, but when I attempt to drive it, it looses power and will misses

Asked by Sep 18, 2013 at 04:19 PM about the 1994 Mercury Capri 2 Dr STD Convertible

6,010

Sounds to me like your vacume advance in the distibitor is not working check for vacume leaks all so

105,485

I would replace the fuel filter then do a fuel pressure test and flow. Is the check engine light on?

No check engine light, did replace the fuel filter, didn't do a fuel pressure test though. Vacuum is good at idle and 2000 rpm, will hook up vac pump to distributor advance and check that

I am having the same problem. I timed it and it idles ok. When I drive it starts to miss right away. I can't drive it very fast. I'm thinking about changing the wires and spark plugs but thinking it could be the vacuum advance on the distributor because the hoses are ok. Anyway would just like to know if your problem was the distributor or not. Thanks.

My 91 xr2 did the same thing due to rust in the tank.. Pull the back seat and open the fuel pump excess panel. Look for muddy looking fuel in the fuel pump housing. Its most likely starving its self for fuel. I clean mine out and it ran fine until the rust and debris flowed back into the pump housing.

My 91 xr2 did the same thing due to rust in the tank.. Pull the back seat and open the fuel pump excess panel. Look for muddy looking fuel in the fuel pump housing. Its most likely starving its self for fuel. I clean mine out and it ran fine until the rust and debris flowed back into the pump housing. You will have to drop the tank to properly clean it out. Or you will have to clean it out every few days if you don't.