my 1995 murcury villager wont start

Asked by Dec 14, 2015 at 02:24 AM about the 1995 Mercury Villager 3 Dr LS Passenger Van

when i go to start my 95 villager all my dash light come on , but when i turn my
key to turn it over i get nothing . What is wrong ? i have checked the battery
connections and fuses . i thought maybe the starter but its only every so often
that it wont start .

1,185

If it has a starter relay, I would replace that. I'd have to look in my manual. Also check a park/neutral lockout switch. Try wiggling it in park while turning the key.

I tried the wiggling thing in park and that don't work . my van foes not have a starter relay I guess the starter relay is internal in the starter . So I'm thinking that maybe its the ignition cylinder . Do u think that could be the problem ? Thank you !

1,185

It could be the ign. like you said, or it could be the park lockout, or it could be the starter/soloniod. one way to check is to use a short jumper from the battery terminal on the starter to the wire terminal from the ign switch, to see if the starter works. May have to jack it up. I'm beginning to suspect the starter/solonoid.

Well I went and bought the ignition last night so after I get it installed I will let you know if I had any luck , I chose to start with the cheapest idea first , because I priced a starter solenoid and they aren't so cheap , I am a full time college student and I can't afford much , but currently my van is my home . Thank you for your ideas I greatly appreciate your thoughts . Happy new year to you and your family !

1,185

Same to you and yours. I took a look at my van, and it's possible to reach the starter solonoid from above. Clip a wire on the positive battery terminal and touch it to the small unbooted terminal on the starter sol. It should spark a little, and the engine should crank. If not, the solonoid is bad. How much is a starter, or startger/solonoid? Looks like a pretty tough job to get at it and replace it.(starter). I sleep in mine, when I am camping. I've removed all the seats except the driver's.