brake light stays on all the time

110

Asked by May 03, 2014 at 08:39 PM about the 1995 Mercury Villager 3 Dr GS Passenger Van

even with the car not running

116,535

Pull up on your brake pedal. If it then don't go out unplug the switch that touches the brake pedal arm. If it then goes out replace the switch.

110

brake light still stays on after replacing switch

116,535

Will it go off with switch unplugged?

90

I have a Mercury villager that did the same thing. turns out that there is a hole on the brake pedal and the switch would go through it instead of engaging. I put a nut and bolt in the hole and adjusted the switch, it now works like it is supposed to.

Do I fix it

Fix it

20

In the "hole" on the brake pedal arm, there WAS a plastic "button" that, when in place protruded enough to push the brake light switch into the off position. In my case, that plastic button had broken off. I wedged a screw driver betweent he pedal arm and the switch that worked to turn the brake lights off - until I can get back out in the DAYLIGHT to try to find a machine bolt to replace the plastic "button."

the lights stay on with the switch unpluged