Key will not go into the ignition

Asked by Mar 18, 2009 at 07:21 PM about the 1995 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr XR7 Coupe

I own a 4.6L 1995 Cougar and something is wrong with my ignition. I had a few things in my hands when I got into my car this afternoon and when I got everything situated I reached up to start the car without having put the key in.  To my surprise the ignition turned without the key, the car didn't start or anything, the outer piece of the ignition just rolled forward.  I rolled it back and went to insert the key, but now the key will not go into the ignition all the way.  I have looked to make sure everything is lined up and it seems to be.  I can see inside the key hole, but the key will only go in about an 1/8 of an inch.  Am I going to need to tow the car to the stealership and pay for a new ignition, or is there something I can possible do on my own?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10

Your key cylnder must be damaged like mines. If you're comfortable replacing it, you will save alot of money. all you have to do is remove the molding around the steering column & you will have access the the defective key switch.