Hood release

65

Asked by Dec 10, 2007 at 09:13 PM about the 1996 Mercury Mystique 4 Dr GS Sedan

The hood release does not release the latch so I can open the hood. Any advise on how I can get the hood opened without taking it to the shop?

go through grill and will see cable just pull it.

13,565

Papa is right. If you look through the grille you will see a cable leading to the latch mechanism. Pull on the exposed portion of the cable and the hood should come loose.

65

I can't see a cable but I saw a spring. Would that have anything to do with it?

65

Hi Papa. I looked but I couldn't see a cable but I saw a spring. How far back would the cable be and what could I use? My needle nose pliers are too thick to get through the grill unless it is right at the front.

if you cant see cable it probley broak at latch try using a long flathead screwdriver dont pry on anything on right look for a half or upsidedown U sort of like this u and push sideways to driver side hood should open,PS this is the part the cable pulls to open.try not to tear it up .if you bend it a little is ok can straighten back with plyers.hope this info is helpful,you do it right hood will pop open.

I see a round hole and inside the hole there is another round piece that seems to have a wire end (going through) it. I try pushing this round piece through the hole by rotating the screwdriver, but nothing happens except the hood lock clicks. It's as if it would open if I just were able to turn the round part more, but that's not possible.