any other ideas on what might be causing the issue?

Asked by Oct 19, 2014 at 06:16 PM about the 1997 Mercury Villager 3 Dr GS Passenger Van

ok my van will start but then sputter but will level out and run for a while then shut off. Ive changed the fuel pump filter O2 sensor and it has a new timing belt. im pretty sure its the alternator ive ordered a new one but I wanted to get another opinion

11,805

If the vehicle is still starting, that tells me that the alternator is still charging the battery for the next start. If the alternator was bad, it would not charge the battery leading to the electrical system eventually failing and not being able to start the vehicle again..

It's not charging the battery it'll run the battery until it dies then I have to charge it

11,805

Okay. That would make sense then. To make absolute certain, your local auto parts store can test the alternator. Chances are this is your problem.

Best Answer Mark helpful

I have a 1999 mercury villager. When i drive about a mile while driving then it turns off. I changed fuel pump knock sensor ,crank shaft and i dont know what else would it be