Head, Brake, Signal, Reverse/Back-up lights work, but Tail, Park and Panel lights don't

85

Asked by Sep 27, 2010 at 01:46 PM about the 1997 Mercury Sable 4 Dr GS Sedan

I jumped the battery a while back.  i don't know if this caused the problem.  But, afterward, I started having problems.

The headlights work.  Brake lights work.  Turn signal lights work.  But, the tail lights around the reverse/back-up lights and the ones on the sides don't work.  Neither do the yellow parking lights on the front.  The instrument panel light has also stopped working.

I have tested every fuse.  I have tested and/or replaced bulbs.  I have replaced the headlight switch, but that didn't fix the problem.

The Haynes manual only identifies 3 points to check on the headlight switch.  There are 12 pins.  The other 9 pins go to various points.  I tested each of the 9 with a multimeter, and they were open.

I've reviewed the Haynes manual, but can't find any more clues.  

Now what?

John in East Tennessee

12,125

C00l bring it up I will take care of it :) ( Massachusetts ) This has got to have that dam auto lamp funtion right ??? Otherwise its pretty straight forward. Lets see if I can walk you through this. In the engine compartment make sure fuse 15,20 and 22 are good See Picture - make sure relay top right is NEW ( Cheap ) . Inside fuse box make sure fuse 12,22 and 30,31 are good and with power with key on and headlight switch on. Take notes and do these tests and let me know what was blown what is hot and what is not. We can go from there.

85

Thank you for the information. I tried the steps you said and still can't seem to fix the problem. What does the autolamp relays do? There is an Auto Lamp relay for headlights, and one for park lights. so what do they do? The Haynes manual shows that the relays are in the circuit for the park lights and it seems that the tail lights are part of that circuit. At the headlight switch, I checked the brown wire to ground and got continuity. If I'm right then that means the the wire to the lights in not broken. I checked the fuses in the engine comp. and got 2.37 volts dc at fuses 15, 20, and 22 to ground. How do I figure the numbers for the fuses in the Instrument Panel fuse panel? Any other ideas/ suggestions for me? Thank you again for all your help.

40

My problem is everything is working but the parking lamps and the dash lights. Bought a 250 fuse pannel (has controls in it) and replaced the switch. Also checked the system ground in the trunk. STILL not working. All relays and fuses good but keep blowing #18. Lost!!!!

70

Not a answer. My 1999 Merc Sable does not have auto lights. There is power on the fuses in engine compartment. There is no power on fuses inside in fuse box. The fuses in fuse box are not numbered. They are marked on the cover. The fuses with no power are marked, tail light and dash light. I put a power wire from cig lighter to dash light fuse and they will work. I also hear a relay kicking in. It sounds like its coming from behind toe radio/ heater controls. Can anyone help?

100

We are having the same issue with a 89 Grand Marquis - no running lights but have headlights and brake lights. When doors are closed we are getting a buzzing noise under dash between driver & passenger seats. Fuses are all good. Any ideas?

100

I have lost both Brake lights on my 2005 Grand Marquis Gl and since I no longer have the owners manual , I can't know which fuses control the Brake lights , can you help me ?

150

Where is the fuse for the tail lights

30

Light Control Module.

10

Where is the fuse for the power mirrors?