1997 Mercury Courar v-8 Shuddering

Asked by May 23, 2014 at 05:30 PM about the 1997 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr XR7 Coupe

My 1997 Mercury Cougar v-8 just developed a shudder today. It happens when I am idling, (at inconsistent timed intervals, i.e. not on an beat), every time I idle. Also, when I accelerate, it happens a little bit, but then you can REALLY notice it between 30-40 mph, then it kind of evens out after I get past that speed. Any ideas?

oh the English language,cars,noises,and feelings; I know what you mean by not a beat - not nice and even up and down. So;shuttering (no that's for windows) - shuddering ? Without hearing it myself I don't have a real feel for what you are describing as a shudder but I'm guessing it's fuel/air related. PCM reads air intake,load,speed (all kinds of cr_p0 and then tries to optimize the mix, rich gives that kind of bogged down sound and lean goes the other way. Any warning light? Can always take in for scan but I prefer to listen and test. Try disconnecting the air intake sensor and see what that does to the idle and report back.

Might want to try some fuel injector cleaner. Could be partially stopped up fuel injectors. I use sea foam or CTC to a full tank of chevron with techron gas.