Whats going on with my car?

Asked by Jul 14, 2014 at 01:44 PM about the 1999 Mercury Villager 4 Dr STD Passenger Van

It will start and run, good performance
for approximately 30 minutes then it
starts backfiring and losing
performance  then dies out and want
start. Smelling raw fuel as well. I let it
sit overnight and next day it repeats
the same issues.

80

check the catalytic converter, and fuel system

we are thinkimg it might be a fuel system problem but not for sure. The problem started when my gas cap was lost at a gas station and left off for about two days. It then started feeling like my engine was knocking and making out like it was going to stall out. Well I parked it for a few days and then I got a gas cap off an older model 4runner and thought that since it fit my gas tank that it shouldmt be an issue and left it on for about two days and it seemed to be doing fine until the third day and then it started doing the same thing so I consulted someone and they said it may be the gas cap throwimg the pressure and what not out of whack so I purchased the standard cap thats specifically for my type vehicle. So after the it drove fine for a couple more days amd started really acting up and seemed to of gotten worse so now im back at square one.