99 Mercury Sable LS engine won't start.

Asked by Oct 18, 2016 at 08:39 PM about the 1999 Mercury Sable 4 Dr LS Sedan

I was in a car collision. I was hit on the rear passenger side tire area. I've currently installed new struts, checked the fuses, and installed a new gas pump. Chances are, the installation is probably the error, but just in case, what else can it be. My cars engine wants to run, but won't stay on. I tried resetting the computer and the anti theft system, no luck. Any suggestions?

3,405

It is most likely that the Fuel Pump Power Supply Switch, which is located in the trunk, has popped into the off position, or possibly the connector is not completely in place. These switches are made to kill the power to the pump in the event of a collision to stop fuel from pumping from the tank to the engine. It should be on the side of one of the fenders, inside the trunk, and may possibly be covered by carpeting. Just locate it and either push the (usually red) button, or flip the switch from one side to the other (like a circuit breaker) to reset it.

Thank you JP. Right on the money !!! I probably didn't even need to buy a new fuel pump, but oh well. I'm so glad !!