When I try to crank, the ignition switch just turns without engaging the starter. The battery is charged and the switch seem loose.

Asked by Mar 31, 2015 at 11:42 AM about the 1999 Mercury Sable 4 Dr GS Sedan

Check starter fuse and relay first under the hood

I'll try that

It isn't that. When I get in the cat I could move the shifter without the key being in. I think it's something to do with the switch itself

Sounds like the column is physically broke, if you can get under the dash and inspect the column, locate the shift cable and mounting bracket, see if it is loose or damaged

Ok I'll try that

Would that be the case with the column even if the shifter is mounted in the floor board.

Ok that changes things, you probably just have a bad shift cable

Ok I'll try that out after work, thanks.

My 2002 mercury sable gs won't crank... Battery, starter, crank sensor, all are new... But my crank fuse blow when I turn the igniton... Tried to crank it from the starter. Still won't start... Wats wrong

I have a 2002 Mercury Sable .My battery kept dying all the time i got my battery tested it's fine my alternator checked fine .Kept driving a mnth ago my battery died again someone came try to give a jump start sparks coming from the cable Which was funny my car was not even on infact when i put my key in the ignition .No lie it could turn all diffrent direction i knew something was wrong no clicks,the engine was not trying to come on at all.So the guy hit the starter sometimes it gives it a boost.Nothing when i looked inside the car dash board every thing on the dash was visible at a stand still.which was spooky my key was not even engaged in the ignition.But the jumper cables was connected to the battery .The whole electrical system just shut down completely nothing would come on at all.The car was towed to my house i ordered a postive ground to the battery post ,and negative got those installed.Same thing so i decided to get it over to the mechanic starter good ,ignition good no loose wires anywhere.But he noticed the ignition prolbem looked at the switch it's broke off in the steering column itself stuck in on postion he tried but was not fixable ,option whole new steering column Which would be costly .Or manually starting the car with a ignition switch .What's crazy is that was the prolbem got car back yesterday running good.I had the same prolbem with the 1996 ford Taurus i would never ever buy one again .