1999 Mercury Cougar won't start

Asked by Jan 22, 2015 at 09:24 PM about the 1999 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

A few weeks ago I had to drop something off at home, but when I went back out to my
car it wouldn't start. It was only off for about 2 or 3 minutes. So it sat for about a week
and then one day I went out and it started no problem. Then it drove great for about 2
weeks and now it won't start again. When I turn the key it clicks once, but the engine
doesn't turn over. The headlights still turn on bright and I tried jumping it, so I don't
think it's a battery issue. Any ideas?

20

Can someone please answer this question above because my 1993 mercury cougar is doing the same thing and don't want to change all the other things when I don't know why it is doing this.

I hope someone can answer this question, I have a 1997 cougar xr7 with the 4.6 and automatic transmission. driving down a hill and car lost power and wouldn't respond to gas pedal. died and will not start, cranks over though...