I have a 99 Mecury cougar the transmission when out 3 times can it be something else?

Asked by Oct 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM about the 1999 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

My Cougars transmission went out 3 times whithin the past 6 years... Automatic... I drive it still with a bad transmission just not over 25mph. It revs until it gets some speed real slow after about 2nd gear itll drive normal... just one time got real hot and the speedometer all the gears on dash went bazerk and the car died. the battery was sparking.. wondering if it can be electrical thing wrong or if it really is the transmission. Diagnostic says trany

there was a water in transmission ? do you have a external cooler? maybe water going in transmission from radiator.

Those transmissions are not known for longevity and always have issues. So you can't drive your car over 25mph and now it overheated? The battery is sparking? I think you really need to assess if you should dump some money into the money pit you have or just pick up another car. I would go with the later. Good Luck.

agree with tom.......time for something else......