Car misfires and sputters

5

Asked by Jun 28, 2011 at 01:43 PM about the 1999 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

Car misfires and sputters only when the car is cold and only when you're stepping lightly on the gas pedal, works fine on open throttle (runs fine when running at temperature). What could be the problem? Check engine light never comes on. I've changed spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter, cleaned the intake, oil & filter changed frequently. The car has had the stock air filter taken out & a short air intake installed (but ran fine with it).  Also, when you take off the short air intake pipe at the intake (pipe has the MAF sensor in the piping), it works exactly the same... would have thought that it wouldn't run right without the air running through the MAF sensor...

5

It is a 1999 Mercury Cougar V6

135

Tune up time

5

I wish that were the problem... it's had a complete tune up, except for coil pack.