which way to go with transmission

Asked by Aug 16, 2015 at 12:00 PM about the 2000 Mercury Villager 4 Dr STD Passenger Van

2000 mercury villager needs a transmission shop offers to repair my existing transmission
or install a different rebuilt transmission at a slightly higher price and give a 3 year
warranty if he fixes my transmission it comes with a 1 year warranty

18,875

These cars are notorious for bad transmissions, if you really want to keep this, I would do two things, 1. Take your car to a reputable independent garage, ask your friends for a reference, unless you already have one , and 2. VERY IMPORTANT! Have them install a good transmission cooler. http://www.carcomplaints.com/Mercury/Villager/2000/

237,715

Mark is right, but the biggest question is how long do you want to keep the vehicle. On a 2000 villager which is only worth around $2500, I would do the rebuild with a year warranty. It could last the life of the vehicle or as long as you own it.

18,875

Tom, thank you. Hey, by the way, I wonder if you would weigh in on this. I've got a friend with a 2.5 Five cylinder car who thinks his vehicle's engine runs smoother, cooler and more efficiently than my similarly sized 2.5 Four Boxer engine. I've been told that the larger cylinder format and structural integrity of the larger pistons etc. likely make the Four the better engine? Also, the inherent design of the boxer engine layout is better balanced than the inline Five. Could I please get your opinion on this, I see that you're the top person for answering questions on this forum. Thanks, ---Mark