Brake Light circuit won't work

Asked by Sep 24, 2012 at 09:19 PM about the 2000 Mercury Sable LS Wagon

My brake circuit is broken.  The brake lights don't turn on, and the shifter doesn't let me out of park.
The shifter issue can be bypassed with the key in the "off" position.
The brake switch has 9V going to it, as measured across the pins.
When pressing the brake pedal, the switch goes from open to short.
Where should I look next?

6,965

Replace the switch, the switch gives signal to the lamps and to the shift lever to relaese the pin inside to be able to shift.

Maybe you didn't fully read my question. The switch works (resistance goes from infinite to 0 when pedal is pressed), and is getting power. It's not the switch. I know it's something else that affects both the shift interlock and the lights, but I don't know what else is there.

40

Recall Date: MAR 02, 2004 Model Affected: 2000 Mercury Sable Summary: CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES ARE BEING RECALLED TO CORRECT A PROBLEM WITH A MALFUNCTIONING STOP LAMP SWITCH AND/OR ASSOCIATED WIRING. THIS MALFUNCTIONING COULD RENDER THE STOP LAMPS INOPERABLE OR CAUSE THEM TO STAY ON ALL THE TIME. THIS COULD CAUSE CONFUSION TO A FOLLOWING DRIVER, WHICH COULD LEAD TO A CRASH. Consequences: IN ADDITION, IF THE SWITCH AND/OR ASSOCIATED WIRING FAIL IN THE OPEN POSITION, THE BRAKE LIGHTS WILL NOT ACTUATE AND THE DRIVER WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SHIFT THE VEHICLE OUT OF "PARK" IF THEY FAIL IN THE CLOSED POSITION, THE BRAKE LIGHTS WILL REMAIN ON, WHICH WILL NOT ALLOW THE SPEED CONTROL TO BE ACTIVATED. THIS COULD ALSO CAUSE THE BATTERY TO DISCHARGE. Remedy: DEALERS WILL REMOVE THE STOP LAMP SWITCH AND ASSOCIATED WIRING ASSEMBLY AND INSTALL A NEWLY DESIGNED STOP LAMP SWITCH AND WIRE ASSEMBLY. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON APRIL 5, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. Potential Units Affected: 938789 Notes: FORD MOTOR COMPANY

10

The third brake light works on my2005 sable no other brakes lights works

10

My signal work but break light don.t