Does NOT turn the engine...ample battery, dash lights up... NO check engine light

Asked by May 15, 2016 at 06:39 PM about the 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium

Ok, here is what happens... when I go to start the car, I turn the key and the dash lights up... IF the check engine light comes on the car will start. IF the check engine light does NOT come on, you don't even hear a click from the starter and it won't start. If the check engine light comes on I think I'm hearing the fuel pump activate or some other electronic hum from the engine compartment or under the car. I thought it was something to do with the security but I cannot confirm that. I called several Ford service departments and none were of any help and didn't seem to have a clue. Can anybody lead me in the right direction?

254,585

Since the light is on, have the car scanned for the code or codes. A local auto parts store will usually do it for free.. Also have them load test the battery to make sure it checks out, sometimes a battery with low voltage will give you weird electrical issues.

No the check engine light is NOT on, it's not that type of issue... it's when you try to start the car... when you first turn the key and the dash lights up... NORMALLY, the check engine light comes on... if that happens when the key is turned, the engine will turn over and start... if that check engine light DOES NOT come on, the engine will do nothing. A time or 2 I have turned the key, light doesn't come on... so I sit with the key turned and out of nowhere the light comes on and I hear the little hum and then the car will start. Still need help folks?