I have a 2000 Mercury cougar and when I go to put gas in it it will pump for a few seconds then stop and start to shoot gas out of the top of the tank then won't take gas at all.

Asked by Sep 11, 2015 at 06:45 PM about the 2000 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

It will pump for a second then stop
and so on. It takes forever just to put
in gas any ideas??

101,565

Your vent tube on the gas tank is blocked...

Turn the pump nozel one way or other. Left or Right...

My bad ..

69,805

I noticed this problem on my 2001 Pontiac Bonneville, and my 2010 Chevy Impala, Came to the conclusion to put the gas nozzle in all the way and straight, start of slow, then full blast. Just my 2 cents.

Generic but accurate. If no air goes out in to charcoal canister, no gas will go in tank, the fumes must be displaced somewhere other that in the atmosphere

101,565

Thanks FordNut, I'm using my smart phone tonight and a pain to search for photos..

24,045

yes change the char canister..or just shake it up and clean out the in and out line...