2000 Mercury Cougar V6 (auto) All gears are acting like they are neutral. cannot move car at all! Please Hellp!!!

Asked by Jan 27, 2012 at 08:24 PM about the 2000 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

started having trouble with the transmission while driving the other day, Pulled over to check level, topped it up. (while i was driving there was a light flashing near my speedometer looked like an "!" with a ring around it) checked fluid, i guess i had poured too much in... drained it out to right level. Car still not working properly... once every so often when i first start it up, it will grip for a bit but, goes right back to neutral as it seems...

bad shift sensors or the tranny is burned up,eather way,the tranny will have to come out.

35

There's a transmission range sensor that could cause it also. Its located beneath the battery mounted on top of the transmission. No need to pull the tranny to replace it