2000 courgar stalls when put it in drive but fine in reverse

45

Asked by Jul 09, 2011 at 05:48 PM about the 2000 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

my girlfriend bought a 2000 cougar 2.5 motor and it ran fine going down the road, but, when stopped at a stop light you touch the gas it stalled. the previous owner said it needed a tunup. We changed the  plugs,wires, air filter,fuel filter, oil and oil filter and I changed the idle positioning sensor as it coded TPS when the check engine light came on. The check engine light is off now and none codes. She drove it for 140 miles total the next day and now when you put it in drive it stalls, but not in reverse, you can drive in reverse all day and won t stall. The previous owner had said he changed the fuel pump and coil pak and module as it also has junkyard writing on the side of the module. For some reason his so called mechanic ran a ground wire from the fender to the battery ground and to the block. it has 36-40 lbs. of fuel preasure running and the same with the engine not running. The car has 134,000 miles on it and this thing driving me nuts trying to figure it out and 4 garages latter and no codes showing up and no one has never seen this before - anyone with any idea as my girlfriend is very upset after buying a car and not being able to drive it and her friend will not answer the phone or the door-  so please help me- lol

45

now it is doing it in reverse also

45

the problem was in the wiring harness that the crank sensor went into- the coupler conection was bad-$39.99 from ford dealer with them running a scope on it and not finding the problem- but they did find the bad conection and fixed it- total labor- connector- scan $312.00 this conector is located under front of engine between engine and radiator- just follow the crank sensor wires and you will find it- when the engine would move it would pull on the harness and the bad ground would stall the motor- the tech. that found the problem has been with FORD for 38 years and it had him scratching his head for about 3 hours- thumbs up for FORD