Engine Problem

10

Asked by Jan 04, 2010 at 08:18 PM about the 2000 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

On this very cold day, my car was very weak starting up and everytime I stopped at a stop sign, the car would start shaking heavily and then if I didn't hit the accelerator, then it would eventually shut down and I would have to restart. The engine light is on.. I have already changed the alternator last year.  My mechanic suggested they may be a crack in the engine!  Anyone share a similar experience?  Ever bought a new engine? Where do I start?  I really don't want to sell this car and would rather fix it!!!

check your oil, when its really cold out the oil tens to be thick. if this is the case then let it run for 5-10 minutes in park, at idle. i get the same thing with ford vans at work.

265

Did they actually hook the car up to a computer to check the code of the engine problem? As far as where to start. I would check the oil for signs of a blown head gasket and check your spark plugs for signs that a cylinder is not fireing. I recently had the same symptoms in a ford truck I was driving. While I have not torn the engine apart yet, a check of the spark plugs revealed oil and then a compresion check showed only 40 psi in one cylinder. The truck still runs, but it shakes badly and stalls. For new engines yould can find out what is available at your local autozone, or search junkyards.

you do have a point there.

55

had a similar problem...the car would flluctuate when idling then as the problem progressed would stall(transaxle is automatic.) Best suggestion is to take it to auto zone. They will diagnose the engine light for free. BTW:My main problems were a clogged manifold and vacuum leak....spent about 1100 to get the car running like brand new

65

I do have the same problem, the lonely I can say is that CPU is acting up. I can you must warm up the engine before you go out. That way your car has a change to warm up and run better because that is what I do.

you have a point there.

10

I have a 2000 cougar, v6, 2dr coupe as well. It also misfires, rpm fluctuates when idling, and stalls. It only does this when it has been very cold out for about 2+ days. It has been going on for 3 years now. I recently had the fuel pump replaced, thinking that would help. It didn't I thought warming up the engine would help, so I have tried getting engine temp up to where it normally runs. it still stalls out at every stop sign and stop light. I don't know what to do!

65

check all vacuum lines

10

I had a 2000 cougar and the fuel pump was actually a recall for that year so the dealership fixed/replaced it for me for free :) I ended up taking it to a mechanic at weston & steeles.. they maintained the car for me for a couple of years but I decided to get rid of it a couple of months ago because the transmission was at it's end. I can refer you to the amazing mechanics and you can get their opinion if you're interested.