how can i replace overdrive band or clutch

Asked by Jun 25, 2015 at 12:58 AM about the 2001 Mercury Villager 4 Dr Sport Passenger Van

2001 mercury villager 3rd gear and overdrive started making sqealing noise and
slipping under power, i pulled pan down and changed screen and there was very thin
peices of band or clutch and very fine metalic residue and metal filings on the magnet
inside the pan. i replaced the pan and filled with correct fluid and it started driving a lot
better than it was but it still slips and squeals but not near as bad .im a good home
mechanic so my question is would it be possible for me to fix it myself and if so do you
know where i can find directions or a video on repairing yhis issue. i really like this
villager but i donthave 2500 or 3000 to replace or have it rebuit.it has 122000 miles and
was never beat on or abused and i dont want to get a used transmission if they all burn
out quick

216,575

Sounds like the trans is shot based on you saying bands are falling apart. Only way to fix it on the cheap is to tear the trans down yourself and rebuild it. If you research it enough you might find free instructions on how to do this, but your probably going to have to pay for a decent manual to help you through the process of disassembly and reassemble. A used trans might not burn up as fast as you think, but then again no warranty or guarantee's. Good Luck!