2001 Mercury Villager Estate transmission trouble

Asked by May 31, 2015 at 04:45 PM about the 2001 Mercury Villager 4 Dr Estate Passenger Van

The transmission goes into reverse just fine. When I put it in Drive it takes off just like it
is suppose to. It shifts into second perfectly. When it shifts into high, it will stay for a
couple of seconds then down shift back to second, then go back to high, then down to
second. It keeps doing this until I get up enough sped for it to shift into overdrive. once it
is in overdrive it is fine until I have to slow down or stop, then it is the same thing all
over again. What could be causing this?

1,295

TrannyMan knows what he's talking about, more than me. Before you tear into the tranny, add Lucas Transmission additive. Maybe change the fluid first? I've seen miracles happen.

Yes I have done all that with the tranny tune up changing filters n fluids. Next step will be the tranny shifts sensor solenoid