my van locks and unlocks my doors while i am driving...

Asked by Sep 12, 2014 at 06:40 PM about the 2001 Mercury Villager 4 Dr Estate Passenger Van

my van will lock automatically. if i am getting out..i have to fight it to let me out...
i turn of the key and hurry to escape. if i am getting in .. i unlock with the key or fob.. it
locks instantly.. i hurry..i think i will have to climb in the back window pretty soon..
help.

66,035

Could be a faulty key fob. Try leaving the key fob home and go for a drive. If it stops, the key fob is bad. We had a similar problem with a 2008 Chevrolet HHR at my job. The left rear door which is electricity operated would randomly pop open. Sometimes when parked and off with the keys in the building. Finally a smart mechanic took the battery out of the key fob and it was fixed. HTH. -Jim

1,235

I read in a TSM that the wiring inside the door going to the key mech is the problem, need silicone grease or to be disconnected. Mine does it also.