I have two codes with my 01 mercury cougar p1744 & P0720

Asked by Feb 26, 2016 at 04:26 PM about the 2001 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

I have changed the nuetral safety switch,
made sure the fluids were ok . I drove it
around for almost an hour and as soon as i
pulled in the drive way my check engine light
came on. Therefore i scanned it and got a
P1744 and a P0720 code. Is there any way i
can fix these problems myself? Any advice
will greatly be appreciated because i dont
have the extra money for a repair shop.
Where is the tcc solenoid located and can i
change it myself? My car runs smooth but
when i go from park to drive and give it gas
it doesnt move, but when it really heats up i
can drive it and all gears are shifting as
normal. I wanna keep the car because i do
like it and its sporty! So anyone with any info
please help me out. Thanks!

43,125

All this sounds like you can take care of shouldn't be too difficult. P0720 FORD - Output Speed Sensor Insufficient Input... Possible causes...> - Faulty Speed Sensor - Speed Sensor harness is open or shorted - Speed Sensor circuit poor electrical connection... When this code is detected, Vehicle speed sensor over 1 MPH while the output speed sensor signal did not agree Possible symptoms.. - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Speedometer improper reading - Possible shifting problems P0720 Ford Description.... The speed sensor detects the revolution of the idler gear parking pawl lock gear and emits a pulse signal. The pulse signal is sent to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) which converts it into vehicle speed........ P1744 FORD - Torque Converter Clutch System Stuck in Off Position, Possible causes...> - Low transmission fluid level - Dirty transmission fluid - Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve - Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness or connectors - Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted - Transmission internal mechanical problem... Tech notes, OBDII Code P1744... The Engine Control Module (ECM) detected excessive transmission slippage or no TCC solenoid operation Possible symptoms - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) P1744 Ford Description... The torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, with the gear in D4, by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the vehicle speed and the Engine Control Module (ECM). Lock-up piston operation will then be controlled. When the torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, the torque converter lockup clutch will engage creating a 1 to 1 RPM ratio between the transmission input shaft and the rotational speed of the torque converter. Lock-up operation, however, is prohibited when A/T fluid temperature is too low. When the accelerator pedal is depressed (less than 2/8) in lock-up condition, the engine speed should not change abruptly. If there is a big jump in engine speed, there is no lock-up.