What could cause my rear tire to bounce at 60 MPH.

Asked by May 27, 2015 at 07:46 AM about the 2001 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

My passenger rear tire will bounce at about 60 MPH. Goes away at speeds above 70
MPH. I have replaced the tire and strut, but it still has bouncing issue. This failure is
random, but when it happens it will shake the car. Driving along side of the car you can
visually see the tire bounces. Any ideas?

41,175

Take the tire off the front and put it on the back. If it bounces, you can rule out a bad or poorly balanced tire. You may have some other issue like a bad stabilizer bar.

I think we have rotated the tires but I will check again. The stabilizer bar has a slight bend in it like someone tried to raise the car with it, but the bushings look ok. Could the bend be causing the issue? The car has some damage to the passanger side when I purchased it, but it looked cosmetic to me?

41,175

I would say that the bent bar is most likely the issue. To be bent, it is obviously pulling much harder on that side since it's bent. For it to have bent, it has to be pulling with extreme force, which is causing the bounce. If the bar was straight and relaxed, it would flex the way it was meant to.