Random Alarm

Asked by Jun 28, 2016 at 07:15 PM about the 2002 Mercury Sable LS

I'm having an issue with my car
alarm going off at random times in
the afternoon and evening.  what
might be causing this?

First check the underside of the hood when you open it and check that the rubber plug that keeps the switch for the hood depressed has not popped out or had a hole worn through it. Then get a can or WD40 with the straw, and some rags, Spray a ton of the wd40 into each lock cylinder and the locking latch mechanisms on the side of all four doors, and operate them a bit. Like I said, use a LOT of the spray. The purpose of it is to displace all moisture and lube the mechanisms up really good as these cars are notorious for this problem and 9 out of 10 times it is due to moisture and/or corrosion inside the mechanical of the latching systems. Lastly, put brand new batteries inside the key fobs, because weak batteries can also cause intermittent alarms.

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked under the hood but I didn't see any rubber pieces. It all looked like metal so I'm not sure exactly where this piece might be located. Can you tell me exactly where this piece is, on the hood itself or on the locking mechanism where the hood bar sits? Thanks.

This car is my sosn's, so it is not here and this is pretty much from memory. With the hood up and standing at the front of the car, along the front frame towards the drivers fender, you should see a bayonet or pushbutton type of switch sticking up from the frame. On the hood you should find a rubber plug that looks like a cap over a hole in the framework of the hood. This cap/plug will be located directly over the switch in the frame/fender. When you close the hood. it contacts the switch and pushes the plunger down engaging the switch. The center of these plugs have a tendency to get soft or actually perforate over time from the constant pressure against them so check it carefully for a hole in it. I just took what is called a Fender washer and bolted it into the hole instead of the rubber plug. If the cap/plug is missing, you should just see a hole in the hood where it should be and you can plug that the way I just described.

Best Answer