Is it worth time and money to get 2002 Mercury Cougar running (v6, AT, 2dr, sport, blown engine)

Asked by Jul 04, 2017 at 01:28 AM about the 2002 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

I have a 2002 Mercury Cougar, v6 AT, 2dr with blown engine. Its a unwanted gift fom a friend an has been
sitting in my garage for a year now, so I've invested $0 into it this far..
1.  Do you guys think its worth the time and money to have someone remove and replace the engine?   To be
more specific, would I be awakening a gas guzzling beast that'll be problematic with things that break and/or
leak  a bit too mucH?  OR, do you feel that with care and preventive maintenance, cougars are ok.  Im not
too familiar with them so just wanna hear some input / advice.

2.  What other years or other car make and models have a compatible
engines for this car?

275,015

That era cougar's are junk. Fords answer to the Probe replacement. It won't be a collector car in the future. The Auto transmissions failed early and the car had other mechanical issues. Not worth investing any money into it if you ask me.

60,705

Put it on craigslist and get rid of it.

75,585

Sounds like you really don't like or want the car. But it was nice of your friend to give it to you! I agree with Bob. Try to sell it. Someone may be interested in it as a project or parts car. If not, scrap it. You can probably get around $250 for scrap and you can use the money to buy yourself something you want or need. HTH. -Jim