have a 2002 cougar, while driving I can push down the gas but nothing. I have to pull off the road and it shuts down like it isn't getting gas. sit for a couple of min. then it works fine.

Asked by Mar 30, 2017 at 10:11 PM about the 2002 Mercury Cougar V6 Hatchback FWD

Most of the time I don't have a problem with the car but there are times that I will be driving down the road and when I push down on the gas its like its not getting any gas. It will shut off on me, I pull to the side of the road and have to wait between 2 to 5 min. to start it up again. I had the fuel filter changed, was told to put gas treatment in the tank. Just took it to the shop today. They said they fixed it but about 2 miles before I got home it acted like it wasn't getting any gas and it shut off on me. grrrr can you help?

32,635

well did they run/check fuels pressures????? sucking air....

I believe they did. They drove it and of course it didn't do it to them.

NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls Recall Number 04V421000 Recall Date 08/30/2004 Component FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE Summary ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, CONTAMINATION OF THE FILTER IN THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM) CAN REDUCE, AND EVENTUALLY BLOCK, THE FLOW OF FUEL TO THE ENGINE. Consequence THIS MAY CAUSE ENGINE HESITATION, LOSS OF POWER, SURGING, AND OTHER SIMILAR SYMPTOMS. OVER TIME, THE FILTER MAY BECOME SUFFICIENTLY BLOCKED TO CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH. What Owners Should Do THIS ACTION IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN AND IS NOT BEING CONDUCTED UNDER THE SAFETY ACT. ALL OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE PROBLEM, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FDM WITH A NEW DESIGN AT NO CHARGE IF THE OWNER REPORTS THAT THE VEHICLE EXHIBITS ANY OF THE IDENTIFIED SYMPTOMS. THE FREE REPLACEMENT WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF 10 YEARS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE OF THE VEHICLE, WITH NO MILEAGE LIMIT. THE CAMPAIGN BEGAN ON APRIL 16, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. ************************************************ FDM stands for the fuel pump + housing assembly. these pumps were a sure failure and shows the exact symptoms your car shows.