ABS light still on after repair

Asked by Jul 08, 2015 at 07:39 AM about the 2002 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

new rotors, new brakes but ABS light is still on

46,415

Replacing rotors and brakes will not fix an ABS fault. You need to get the code read and determine from the code what the problem is. My guess is that one of the wheel sensors has an issue.

90

Bob is spot on..the code will indicate what wheels speed sensor is not reading and need replacement..if the speed sensor can not read the speed of the wheel then the ABS system will not be able to compute and operate properly so at that point it powers down and leaves you with traditional brakes. It could also be that the ABS pump is no longer functioning and has failed.

20

And I disagree, as the ABS light and brake light are on and stay on when the car is parked, wheels not turning. I need help in that I had to replace the rear struts in my car and the ABS sensors would just not come out, and had to end up cutting the wires to them to remove and replace the struts. (details on that if you want later). However, I have taken care of rejoining the wires and securing them and loom wrapping, and the lights are now on and stay on. No idea why. Somehow I think there must be a reset for the ABS computer, otherwise I think it just shows "Failure" because it detected at one time the wires were cut. No light problem before strut replacement.