how do i get air out of cooling system? 02 cougar v6 automatic

Asked by Jul 04, 2015 at 01:10 PM about the 2002 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

i changed the thermostat, and its been running hot ever since.

21,660

Remove cap from radiator or over flow tank. If radiator fill with anti freeze until you can see anti freeze about 2 - 3 inches from top if over flow tank add anti freeze to fill mark leave cap off and start vehicle once vehicle reaches normal operating temperature the t stat will open and the anti freeze level will drop add more anti freeze to radiator until full and replace cap. With over flow tank add anti freeze to fill mark then put cap back on.

no radiator cap, so i took the cap off the tank. i drove it a few miles, and some anti freeze came out just when i got back. it is cooling now, but the fan is still running all the time. what next?

21,660

I did not say drive it let it idle.

21,660

Did you see anything in my answer saying to drive the vehicle ?

21,660

How did you make out with your vehicle bleeding the air from system ? Sorry did not mention not to drive but just to start and let idle.

Best Answer Mark helpful
21,660

But when I wrote start vehicle and did not mention drive thought you knew to let vehicle idle

excuse me. i drove it before u answered my first question, and i did let it idle. it didn't work.

21,660

Thank you for the best answer but there is no were in my answer that I told you to drive the vehicle. If you thought that you should have asked first.

get over it, i don't work for u.