My battery light keeps flickering in my car.

Asked by Mar 06, 2015 at 09:07 AM about the 2002 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

I changed the battery 3 times and the alt 3 times. I found out there was a 175A fuse on
the back of the engine block and replaced that it still flickers. The wire harness from the
fuse to the battery and alt is no longer sold so a cable that gauge was installed in place of
it. The battery light is still flickering, I've owned the car 4 years and never had any issues
like this until now, any ideas???

have you checked the alternator

Kevin Quarles

Check for a little strap looking ground wire under the right side of the ignition coil. It's supposed to be sandwiched under the single coil bracket between the engine. If it's not secured, it will just barely touch the engine and make your light flicker as the engine moves. Look hard because it's hard to miss, but if you changed your mega fuse I bet you forgot to put that back on when you took off the cool pack. I changed batteries, fuses, and alternators multiple times before I figured this out today.