Does anybody know how to remove the overhead console from a 2002 Cougar?

5

Asked by Nov 24, 2013 at 07:08 PM about the 2002 Mercury Cougar V6 Hatchback FWD

I removed the light fixture and torx screws to the console but it seems to have some
resistance towards the windshield. I don't want to snatch it out and break any possible
clips holding it in. Any suggestions are appreciated. I need to replace my sunroof motor
and my antenna base. Also does anybody know how to turn off the wrench light? I've had
my oil changed several times.

20

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8gRJgxjUDk The console unit has 2 clips as well as the screws holding it in place. Just pry it out carefully. You also need to remove the sun visor clips but be very careful. They have a plastic tip on the rear side that you have to push towards the front of the car with a screw driver so that you don't break it. To get to the sunroof motor, removing the headliner band around the sunroof is key so you can pull down the headliner to get access. On the subject of the sunroof motors, they are a piece of junk. The are built with the main gear made of nylon. Eventually this gear will crack and your motor will be useless. You can't buy OEM parts anymore and there is a good chance if you buy one from a scrap yard that it will be seized too. There is a socket to insert an allen wrench into that will let you rotate the main gear. Mark the position first and then see if you can carefully rotate the gear ~90 degrees. If it gets stuck, the gear is broken.

Best Answer Mark helpful
5

Thank you! I was successful in replacing my sunroof motor only to discover the previous owner disconnected the power to prevent opening since the plastic tracks are broken. I was able to open the sunroof but had to take it to my local Ford Dealership to have them close it and unplug my motor. They said to replace the tracks will set me back about $1500. Not worth it!