2002 Mercury cougar v6 draining coolant

105

Asked by Nov 13, 2012 at 06:53 AM about the 2002 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

I raised the cougar (3) inches by putting (2) 2x8's under each tire, removed the skirt to get access to the radiator drain plug, removed plug and about 3 quarts drained. How do you get the other 7 quarts out of the engine block? How do the pro's do it?

237,215

It's called a flush, you are just draining the coolant in the radiator. You will need to backflush the coolant system to push the coolant in the engine and heat core out of the lower hose. Search the internet for help. But another way would be to add water to the radiator and star the car with the heat on full and let the water circulate with the coolant, let it run for 10-15 min till the thermostat opens up. Let it cool and drain again, repeat the procedure till you have mostly water. Then just add coolant to the radiator, since there is water in the block and heater core for the last time to get a proper 50/50 mix.

105

Thanks for your reply. Getting a few gallons of distilled water and flushing the system as you suggested is a good idea however I won't get a 50/50 mix because it's a 10 quart system and only 3 quarts drain from the radiator. Probably would have to take the thermastat out and pump some H2O out of the block. Probably easier to just have the garage do it. It's a bear to work on this car.