Replaced fuse for cigarette lighter stil doesn't work now what?

Asked by Mar 06, 2016 at 07:39 PM about the 2003 Mercury Sable LS

Replaced  fuse with 20 amp fuse didn't  help.I plugged in a  car  vac into the  
lighter and  and it stopped working afterwards  the  lighter  wouldn't  work at all.

215

Looks like no one has gotten to this question yet! Here's my take: A couple of things could have happened. Something could have pulled too much amperage and blew out the fuse (very common for cigarette lighters). After you replaced fuse you could have immediately blown it out again. It's also possible you replaced the blown fuse with a fuse that is defective or already blown. The replacement fuse might have had too high amperage and subsequently damaged the circuitry (which is also common). The item that is being plugged into the cigarette lighter may have a short in it and causing instant fuse poppage. Finally, sometimes there is a fuse in the actual “appliance” that is being plugged into the lighter. Plugs that go into the lighter are also notoriously poor quality and can break or stop making the correct contact even if they still look okay. I hope that helps!

yes this helps after the outage from the vacum and the replaced fuse didn't work, i'll take my car to a shop and give them your answer.Hopefully this will help. thanks sh03el