Replaced flasher and collum switch but turn signals and flasher still do not work. All the bulbs work - whats up, wiring gone bad?

Asked by Sep 11, 2016 at 02:39 PM about the 2004 Mercury Sable LS Wagon

2004 Sable

1,645

check the flasher unit itself, I am not sure where it would be located your local shop could locate and test it for around $30

7,845

Check all fuses, if fuses are good, check voltage on flasher, if voltage is present, check wire harness plugs under dash. I'm assuming you have no signal in front or rear, If no voltage at flasher, trace back to fuse box

Fuses good, flasher good switch replaced - still no go. Looks like Mr Ford - been trying to avoid that.

Not sure how to check the voltage on the flasher.

7,845

It's like any normally open switch, you have 12.4 volts going in before switch is depressed and and 12.4 on the other side of switch is contacts are good, if bad, you will not see voltage out of it. These cars are known for having problems with multi functional switch but you said, you already replaced it, If that's the case, you might have to take it apart again and check for voltage going in to the switch and if ok, check switch contacts to see if it closes when you activate the switch for turn signals

And now the rest of the story ...... Well guru's I finally fixed it. Since I am not a guru I went to a mechanic and found that I had 12.4 volts going to the switch. He did it for free. (A friend) I suspected the replacement flasher was not the right one. After going to the local Auto Parts - 4 of them - and they all had the same flasher. I tried two of them from, one each from two stores and, both did not work. The last guy, at O'Reilly's Auto Parts, looked at the flasher and said it was for a flasher for LED's and was rated for trailers. The flasher listed in the books for the 2004 Sable were wrong - so be it. I went back to the junk yard and found 4, 2005 Taurus and Sable's in the yard and took all four Flasher Relays for $8 and, the first one I stuck in worked. I now have three spare relay's, one spare multifunction switch and a torx screw driver one website said I needed but, did not and, a $10 credit at a junk yard. Maybe the most fun, experience in removing and replacing multifunction column switches in a junk yard.