Electrical issues

Asked by Apr 11, 2015 at 05:59 PM about the 2004 Mercury Sable LS

My sister has a 2004 Mercury Sable LS Premium. The other night, she drove through a puddle during a rain storm. Her turn signals and brake lights stopped working. I pulled the fuse and it was blown. I replaced it, put the lights still did not work. I looked at other fuses and found the hazard flasher, cluster power, ICP power, EATC fuse was also blown. When I put that new one in, I heard a clicking and the gauge needles on the dash giggled for about 5 seconds then stopped. I started the car and now the dash lights do not work, the power locks do not work. Plus after a few more seconds the compartment fan came on and it will not shut off. The buttons will not allow me to turn it down or off. I checked the original fuse (turn signals and brake lights and it was blown again. What Happened!!!!

7,030

Clean out the water and dry the car and its systems, take things apart, dry them and reassemble. If you find foreign matter entry, it can be as bad as water. then when you've tried checking everything and have good parts for circuit protections in the fuse panel and power distribution box, wet modules can still exist. It is like a flood damaged car. good luck, hope you can minimize but a space heater placed where the wet is can dry things fast. open periodically to ventilate. Check the real worry, water entry into the systems like engine and steering etc. A car with good insurance may get covered if you take it to be done.

7,030

Having the battery cable off can be wise during electrical repairs. Ford products with SRS airbags, you take the pos off first and wait for it to power out.

2,795

Also check any/all relays in your main power supply box under the hood for all the systems you mentioned. Water may have gotten into that and caused a relay to short into the on position.

7,030

Ditto