How do you bleed the coolant system of a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer. It has an expansion tank, no radiator cap

Asked by Jan 14, 2015 at 10:56 PM about the 2005 Mercury Mountaineer 4 Dr STD SUV

Heat comes our of vents when car is in motion.  When just idling air is cold.

open the coolant bottle when the engine is cool. start the car and turn the heater on high. once it is up to operating temp, make sure the bottle is filled to the "full hot" line. GENTLY squeeze the upper radiator hose, this will help purge the air out. if there is air, the bottle should go down a bit and or bubble up some. do this a few times until it stays full. you should be good to go. P.S if there is a bleeder valve on the housing near the thermostat, you can loosen it carefully while everything is running, this will help get air out. not all vehicles have them though. good luck.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Hi, I am driving a Mercury Mountaineer-2005-V6-4.0 Ltrs and I am having the same problem... coolant level drops... no leak... would briefly see check gauge.. temperature goes very high... I stop and by the time I pull over, temperature is back to normal.... water overflows from the tank.... this happened like 4 times... What I have done so far is replacing the tank's cap.... replaced thermostat... flushed the coolant system... filled 50/50 antifreeze coolant/distilled water.... removed air (or I guess so) by running the heater and watching air bubbles flow out of the tank... What I'm suffering now is that coolant level goes down around half a liter everyday... I commute to work 110KM each way daily... I reach home... let the car cool down till next day... check water level... down a little, around half a liter as mentioned above and the big note is that I always find coolant tank is under a lot of pressure during removing the cap... I am trying to see whether I had air in the system and will ultimately burb completely and water level stabilizes... HELP please

i tried squeezing the hose and nothing happen the fluid is still at the full mark no bubbles and still no heat could it be the thermostat

If you are losing coolant and there is no apparent leak, you could have a bad head gasket. There is a test called a combustion leak test that would help determine this. The kit is about 50 bucks at an auto parts store. The other alternative is to have a shop that does emissions testing "sniff" your exhaust. Either of these tests will tell you if there is coolant getting into your combustion chambers. As far as the pressure in the tank, some vehicles have a pressurized system. Usually there is not a cap on the radiator, it is on the overflow tank.