my 1990mazda protege manual wont start.

Asked by Jun 06, 2013 at 06:42 PM about the 1990 Mazda Protege 4 Dr LX Sedan

with clutch depressed turn key  car cranks once then goes off .  tried pumping clutch so to catch correct position used to work doesnt  any more tried so many times battery died

24,635

I would clean up the battery connections first. If the battery is dead, take it to a parts house and have it tested and recharged - do not try to charge it by jump-starting the car and letting it run for a long time unless you want to end up buying a new alternator soon too. That's where I'd start first.

395

If the engine is turning over only once and then followed by a clicking sound then it's most likely a battery/alternator issue. If it's continuing to turn over then it's most likely a fuel delivery problem (Bad pump, clogged filter etc...) If it's safe to do so (and you can get the car back to where you park it) try a bump start.

365

try adjusting clutch slave cylinder travel. if you are at the limit travel sometimes loop is open and or closed. read manual how to test it, and or adjust that