engine surging

Asked by Apr 01, 2011 at 10:57 PM about the 1992 Mazda Protege 4 Dr LX Sedan

i recently had the water pump and timing belt replaced about a week ago. the job went good but ran slightly rough as did before so, i sprayed some air intake cleaner througb it and 2 days later the engine started surging and bucking at idle and at highway speed. looked everything over, plugs and wires, air filter, injectors, vacuum tubing, pcv system all look fine. car has 127,834 miles on it. any ideas?

765

check the acordian tube between the air cleaner and the throttle body it has to fit properly and also ceck the tube for rips inbetween the accordians if that accordian tube leaks any air through it the mass air flow sensor will not get the proper signal and it will cause the problem you are having. If the tube has any cracks in it it must be replaced you cant fix it with tape

thanks for the reply, the acordian tube looks good, no sighns of cracks. went out yesturday and the car seems to run fineuntil it gets hot. the surging doesnt seem to start until the car has been driven around for about 20 minutes or more. seems fine when its cold.

10

Hello, did you ever find out what happened with your vehicle? I am having the same exact problem and cannot figure out what is wrong.

95

I'm having an issue like that with mine too, but it has over 200000 miles on it. I'll give Steve's answer a crack.

5

Guys, I just had a similar problem after the belt replacement. I read online and believed like many have suggested that I jumped a tooth or put the belt on wrong in the first place. SO I took everything off again to check. IT ALL LINED UP. So I put it all back together, but this time I thought I would replace the plug wires. Buttoned it all up and the car wouldn't start. WTF, what did I do. Well, it was the plug wires. Seems like they come with the connectors that clip to the spark plugs deep inside the insulators. I had tot push mine up and thru to the edge of the insulator. I put it on the plugs and felt a solid clip on sound and feel. That's how you know they're on. The car started right up and runs so smooth now... I hope this saves somebody 4-8 hours and a lot of aggravation. Good luck.