starter clickng but will not turn over 1992

Asked by Jul 21, 2013 at 05:58 PM about the 1992 Mazda Navajo 2 Dr LX 4WD SUV

battery cables are fried was turning over  bought cables and starter how do I replace

How old is battery? let's begin there, then deal with starter, okay?

And does it look like this? Mazda Navajo and Ford Explorer Sport are the same vehicle

83,315

If your cables are fried, then that is the first thing to replace, voltage drops cause all kinds of problems that go away when proper voltage is restored. Disconnect negative cable first, then positive, have your battery tested, replace both cables and connect the negative cable last and recheck your starter for proper operation. If it still just clicks then replace it.

22,505

Your Navajo is a two door Ford explorer in Mazda clothes. Follow tennisshoess advice. Might have that battery load tested if it's been deep cycled very many times. The click is the solenoid engaging. It only takes a couple of amps to make the solenoid click - it takes 100+ amps to make the starter turn effectively.