1992 mazda mpv 4 wheel drive , how to replace starter?

Asked by Nov 03, 2010 at 09:30 PM about the 1992 Mazda MPV 3 Dr STD 4WD Passenger Van

would it be easier to cut a hole in the passenger floor firewall to reach the starter as opposed to removing the transfer case?

NO,do not cut a hole in floor pan,you can get to the starter without removeing transfer case,it is a tuff one to change,once you remove the bolts and wires ,just wiggle it around once you find the sweet spot it will come out,just watch how it comes out to put newone back in.

10

hello my name is Rob. I have a 1992 mazda mpv 4 wheel drive.im wodering if you have done it before.and if so would like to help me take one out. ? i would pay you for it . call me 604 557 -0296

YES,I have replaced several of them,is a PITA but doable.if I were near you I would be glad to do the job,but im in VA.

10

Thanks for getting back to me. but I have a guy thats going to take the old one out and a new one in for a $100 .00 + the the cost of the starter. by the way where is VA ??

Virginia,USA,where you at,I would have done the job for $35.00.

40

no need to remove the trasfer case or cut the frewall; it is a pain in the a... job but try it with long extensons to the sockets and flexible connections. I did it myself, it took me 3 hours, an honest workshop will bill you not more than than that, parts extra,taxes extra

is it easier in a 2 wheel drive ? have to do one for my wife's van ?