turba ?

655

Asked by Sep 17, 2008 at 11:47 PM about the 1994 Mazda Protege 4 Dr LX Sedan

how much boost is safe to run on a gtx turbo set up with stock bp internals

95

Are you turboing an N/A BP, or do you have a gtx setup with a BPT ? stock interns on a bpt are much stronger, but the BPT is a jdm motor... only the B6T came to this country (the 1.6 liter version ) im running one of theese in my car at 20 lbs with a computer and a frontmount.... the BPT with stock turbo should be able to push 20 on the stock snail with fuel management and an intercooler but watch your EGTs..... the bigger a turbo is the more CFM it will flow.. so a larger turbo will push a lower pressure to achieve the same horsepower....Example--- my car at 20 psi on my little turbo makes about 210 to the fly.. if i were to jump up to say a t3-t4 turbo the 210 fly HP would be made arround 10-12 psi due to flow. (CFM) my car would have considerably more lag but considerably more power at any boost pressure... .to make a long story short i need the folowing info to answer the question... 1) is the motor a BPT or a BP thats being turbod .. 2) what turbo are you running 3) what if any fuel upgrades have you done if you answer theese, ill tell you how high before detonation and possible engine damage.... check out www.RCICustoms.tk there you will see some mazda projects and my car i told you about and my # is on there if you have alot of questions ......Joe

655

my other source said that BP and BPT internals are the same but a BPD has stronger inernals the BPT just has lower compression then a BP

95

no, no, my friend you can go on www.corksport.com right now and buy the rods, from a jdm mazda 323gtx, for arround 550.00 they fit in any B6 or BP or B6T or BPT Engine... and are thicker and shaped different than the "Miata rods" as we call the smaller stock USDM mazda 1.6 &1.8 liter B series engines rods... corksport has a drag protege that has run 30psi.. yes thats 2 bars above atmosphere.. on theese rods and aftermarket pistons 2nd.. the BPT has pistons with a larger dish giving the engine a final compression ratio of 8.4-1 i think they also have a larger turbo than say my B6T has and oil sqirters under each piston to help cooling and to better fight heat buildup and detonation.. just like my 1.6 B6T has.. they are a quite superior motor to a N/A BP. weather out of a Miata or a Protege or a mx-3 comon there japanese motors... its not uncommon to hit 100 mph on the way to work in japan... go to corksport and look at the 323gt-323gtx section....

95

the festiva belongs to Bryan Smith... and this capri is my car.. both running B6T engines the festiva has a 323gt engine with the bigger rods and the capris B6T has "Miata Rods" the stock miata rods in a miata or capri turbo will handle about 230 whp without worry .... im at about 190 wheel horse running 19psi on a vj14/vj11 hybrid turbo and stock injectors (which are starting to lean out) as a daily driver....

95

aah your source has been on the wikkipedia... yes, but what they dont tell you is that the miata rods part # supercedes the larger rods in 1990 so all engines built after then came with BP or "Miata rods"... the 1987 323gt has a B6T with larger rods and a snub nosed crankshaft...(hence the high volume oil pump that corksport offers) thats whats in the festiva above... the BPT pre 1990 has theese thicker rods... the BPD was the WRC engine had the huge rods that corksport has for sale (sorry i listed theese as bpt rods above) p.s BPD rods are also hardened..... here theese will help

95

on the left a forged hardened BPD rod.... in the center a Miata rod or post'90 B6T rod....on the right a BPT or pre 90 B6T rod

655

My source has a boosted NA BP. He has torn down both an NA BP block and A JDM BPT 1.8 DOHC motor and the rods and crank are the exact same. The only difference in the motors is the BPT has 8.2 compression where the NA has 8.8 compression. The rods that corksport runs are the JDM BPD rods which come from the Mazda 323 GTR. The DOHC B6, B6T, BPT, BP and BPD rods are all interchangeable. NA RODS ARE IDENTICAL TO JDM BPT GTX RODS. Get your facts straight before you try and come play facebook hero.